Small Chair #1999-0563
Maple small chair with a triangular pediment; rectangular red vinyl padded back and stuff-over seat; on square section front legs with incised lines, out-swept rear legs and ‘H’ stretcher.
This small chair was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This chair was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple and has been reupholstered in red vinyl for the Senate.
|Medium||Maple; timber; vinyl; textile; metal|
|Creator’s name||Federal Capital Commission Architects Department|