Hall Stand #1999-1050
Maple hallstand with a plain moulded cornice over a panelled back containing two bevelled edge mirrors and 18 brass coat hooks flanked by plain pilasters; the base comprises two umbrella sections, on a platform base.
This hall stand was designed in 1926 by the Architects Department of the Federal Capital Commission, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This hall stand was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). This piece of furniture has been used in a variety of capacities throughout the House.