Palm Stand #1999-1079
Blackwood square section palm stand; plain top with rounded edges, with rectangular panels on each stepped out side; resting on a plinth base.
This palm stand was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This palm stand was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is used as a stand for table lamps or to display decorative items.