Potato Peeler #2001-1687
Hobart potato peeler; round barrel with open top supported on stand that ends in four branching out legs; from left side of barrel is an attached metal bucket on three legs, from the right of the barrel is a sloping chute.
This potato peeler, manufactured by the Hobart Company Pty. Ltd., was used in the kitchens at the Provisional Parliament House. The dining and kitchen facilities were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. The facilities and equipment were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II. This potato peeler would have been used to help prepare countless meals each day.
This machine was one of the original items purchased for the kitchens when the building was first opened in 1927. It was used in the vegetable preparation and store room (LF510). Potatoes were placed into the top opening before being mechanically peeled inside the body of the machine. Peeled potatoes would drop into the bucket pictured on the left and peelings fell through the chute on the right into the sink.