Easy Chair #2001-1808
Chesterfield-style easy chair with padded arms and back and sprung seat; carved pilasters with shaped blocks resting on block feet.
This easy chair was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This chair was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is upholstered in red leather for the Senate.