Vegetable Store and Preparation Room — LF510South Wing, Lower Floor
This room was used as a vegetable preparation and store room. It is located on the lower floor of the dining and recreation block in the South Wing. Room LF510 was initially split into two rooms: the vegetable store room (to the south) and the vegetable preparation room (to the north). In 1950 the wall separating these two spaces was removed, creating a much larger space. Large storage bins and shelving lined the east wall of this room. It was here that vegetables were prepared before being delivered to the chefs to be cooked.
The dining and kitchen facilities at the Provisional Parliament House were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. These facilities assisted in providing Ministers, Members, Senators and staff with some measure of comfort in compensation for long sitting hours in the building and the long periods away from their homes. The kitchen facilities were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II.