Bar stool with circular padded seat upholstered in burgundy vinyl; tubular metal frame with square set legs flaring at the foot rail.
This bar stool was purchased during the refurbishments to the dining and recreation block in the 1940s and has been used in a variety of capacities throughout the building.
During the 1940s substantial improvements and additions were made to the facilities for parliamentarians and press representatives in the dining and recreational block at the rear of the original building. In 1947 the original billiards room was converted into a dining area, while in 1948-49 the Member’s bar was enlarged, and additions included a dining room for staff and press, a private dining room and servery, and a new billiards room.
During the 1950s parliamentarians, officers and staff were provided with three bars: the Member’s bar, limited to Members and Senators; the dining room bar, available for drinks during meals to Members and their guests, although no drinks were served at the bar itself; and the non-Member’s bar, provided for officers of the departmental staff, Members’ and Ministers’ staff, and press representatives.