Writing Desk #2001-1226
Maple writing desk; plain top over a panelled apron, resting on two pedestals with panelled front, back and sides, each pedestal has a drawer over a cupboard on the front side.
This writing desk was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This desk was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd).
Furniture plans, and minor holes on the top surface of the table, indicate there was originally a stationery rack attached to the top.