Telephone that was used by William McMahon #2006-1048
Small light grey plastic phone with attached handset, with rotary dial on the left hand side, and three columns of six programmable keys.
This telephone was used by Prime Minister William McMahon (1972 - 1972) in the Prime Minister’s office at the Provisional Parliament House. It is part of a collection of phones donated to the museum by Neil Baker, who worked as a telephone technician at the building for nearly twenty years from the early 1970s to the late 1980s. During this period he collected telephones that he was asked to remove/replace in the building. These telephones range from the public ones used in the reception area to ones belonging to specific people. Baker recalled that every incoming Prime Minister asked for two things as soon as he took over the office: for his desk to be moved and for a new phone. This at times created considerable cabling issues, as the extensions which created the new Prime Minister’s office in 1972-73 had limited capacity for cabling alterations: in the end he had the carpet taken up one recess and holes drilled in the floor at one metre intervals.