Prime Minister’s Desk (1927 - 1972) #2008-0095
Queensland maple pedestal desk; plain top with raised circles on the apron, resting on two pedestals; each pedestal has a lockable cupboard on one end and three drawers on the other, with incised square columns on each corner; on block feet.
This desk was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. It was used by all of the Prime Ministers at the Provisional Parliament House from Stanley Bruce in 1927 to Gough Whitlam in 1972. In 1972 this desk was put into storage when the Prime Minister’s suite was renovated and new modern furniture, including a new desk for the Prime Minister, was purchased to complement these rooms.
In 1996 John Howard, newly elected Prime Minister, asked for the desk to be provided for his use in his office in the Australian Parliament House on Capital Hill. He used it until he lost the 2007 election. The desk was returned to the museum in 2008.