Rosary that belonged to Elizabeth Calwell #2010-0259
Rosary comprised of gold links and imitation pearls, with a crucifix showing Christ crucified suspended from the end.
This rosary is part of a collection of objects that belonged to the Calwell family that were donated to the museum by his daughter, Dr Mary Elizabeth Calwell.
This rosary was a gift to Elizabeth Marren, later Elizabeth Marren Calwell, from Arthur Calwell during the 1928 Eucharistic Congress in Sydney. According to their daughter, Mary Elizabeth, this was a turning point in the relationship between the two, as they had previously decided to end their courtship. Elizabeth was at the time a journalist and the social editor of the Roman Catholic weekly, Tribune, and wrote under the pseudonym of ‘Cecilia’.