House of Representatives Pen that belonged to Arthur Calwell #2010-0266
Green and silver ball point pen with the inscription ‘HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AUSTRALIA’ in gold.
This pen is part of a collection of objects that belonged to Arthur Calwell, Australia’s first Minister for Immigration (1945-49) that were donated to the museum by his daughter, Dr Mary Elizabeth Calwell.
This pen belonged to Arthur Calwell. In the 1950s-70s the differentiation of the two chambers by way of colour was greatly enhanced throughout the Provisional Parliament House. Furniture that had previously been blue or brown was painted green or red, carpets were laid over blue lino, and a number of other markers of difference were established. This pen stems from this development, which is perhaps partly explained by the expansion of the parliament in 1950, as well as other measures taken by parliamentarians and staff of the parliamentary departments to further emphasise the long-standing differences between the two houses of parliament.