’S’ Sweet Dough Arm Mixer Attachment #2007-1630Pastry Room, South Wing, Lower Floor
Large industrial ‘S’ Sweet Dough Arm attachment for Hobart mixer; cone shaped base with hole in centre, with an angular frame.
This mixer attachment was used in the kitchens at the Provisional Parliament House. The dining and kitchen facilities were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. The facilities and equipment were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II. This mixer attachment would have been used to help prepare countless meals each day.
This attachment was manufactured by the company who developed electric mixers, The Hobart Company Pty. Ltd. The machine-powered mixer was invented by Herbert Johnson in 1908 as a more convenient and efficient way to mix dough than by hand. There are numerous attachments that can be used for a variety of functions and products like beating eggs, combining pastry or whipping cream and butter. The ‘S’ Sweet Dough Arm is used for creaming and mixing sweet dough. Many of the attachments used with the Hobart industrial mixer at the Provisional Parliament House remain in the collection.
|Creator’s name||The Hobart Company Pty. Ltd.|