Skip to the content
Content starts here

‘E’ Dough Arm Mixer Attachment #2007-2305-2Pastry Room, South Wing, Lower Floor

Large industrial ‘E’ Dough Arm attachment for a Hobart mixer; short round base with hole in centre and side, with a long curved hook.

History

This mixer attachment was used in the kitchens at the Provisional Parliament House. The dining and kitchen facilities were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. The facilities and equipment were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II. This mixer attachment would have been used to help prepare countless meals each day.

This attachment was manufactured by the company who developed electric mixers, The Hobart Company Pty. Ltd. The machine-powered mixer was invented by Herbert Johnson in 1908 as a more convenient and efficient way to mix dough than by hand. There are numerous attachments that can be used for a variety of functions and products like beating eggs, combining pastry or whipping cream and butter. The ‘E’ Dough Arm is used primarily for mixing bread and pizza dough. Many of the attachments used with the Hobart industrial mixer at the Provisional Parliament House remain in the collection.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This mixer attachment is significant through its association with the kitchens and the dining and recreation block in the South Wing. The wing was an integral part of the early design and development of the Provisional Parliament House. The facilities were an important part of the intention for the building to be fully self-contained. These facilities also played an important role in the Commonwealth Parliament and Government hosting Royal visits, official State receptions and formal dinners for important guests.

This mixer attachment is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those objects which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices.

  • ‘E’ Dough Arm Mixer Attachment‘E’ Dough Arm Mixer Attachment —

Details

Width 230mm
Height 427mm
Depth 77mm
Medium Aluminium
Creator’s name The Hobart Company Pty. Ltd.
Date created Unknown