Refrigerator #2001-1636Kitchen, South Wing, Lower Floor
Large stainless steel Kelvinator refrigerator; rectangular cabinet with white painted sides and metal front; with five doors on front and thermostat on side.
This refrigerator, manufactured by DGM Kelvinator Equipped, was used in the kitchens at the Provisional Parliament House. The dining and kitchen facilities were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. The facilities and equipment were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II. This refrigerator would have been used to help store the vast quantities of food needed.