Deep Fryer #2007-2323Kitchen, South Wing, Lower Floor
Pitco frialator; two top rectangular frying bays; with control switches and two doors on front that open to internal electrical mechanisms; on four castors.
This deep fryer, manufactured by Pitco Frialator, Inc., was used in the kitchens at the Provisional Parliament House. The dining and kitchen facilities were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. The facilities and equipment were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II. This deep fryer would have been used to help cook countless meals each day.