Butchery — LF511South Wing, Lower Floor
This room was used as the Butchery. It is located on the lower floor of the dining and recreation block in the South Wing. Carcasses were delivered to this room and hung on metal hooks from rails in the ceiling or stored in one of the adjoining cold stores (LF512). They were then butchered and prepared for cooking. Prepared meat was stored in the other adjoining cold store (LF513) or in the DGM Kelvinator fridge that still remains in the museum’s collection.
The dining and kitchen facilities at the Provisional Parliament House were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. These facilities assisted in providing Ministers, Members, Senators and staff with some measure of comfort in compensation for long sitting hours in the building and the long periods away from their homes. The kitchen facilities were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II.