Men’s Changing Room — LF516South Wing, Lower Floor
This room was initially used as the men’s changing room. It is located on the lower floor of the dining and recreation block in the South Wing. In 1948 this room was converted to include the male staff lavatory. After 1950, Room LF516 underwent alterations, comprising the subdivision of the room into three separate bathrooms.
The dining and kitchen facilities at the Provisional Parliament House were an important aspect of the building, as it was designed to be fully self-contained. These facilities assisted in providing Ministers, Members, Senators and staff with some measure of comfort in compensation for long sitting hours in the building and the long periods away from their homes. The kitchen facilities were responsible for providing meals and refreshments to the Members’ Dining Room, private dining rooms, offices (on request), and, after 1949, to the dining room built for staff and the press. As well as day to day meals, the kitchen staff were also called upon to cater for large functions associated with special occasions such as royal or overseas visits and important events, including the 1954 State Banquet for Queen Elizabeth II.