House of Representatives Chamber Stationery Holder #1999-0439House of Representatives Chamber, North Wing, Main Floor
Blackwood stationery holder; rectangular shape with an upper open shelf surrounded by three short sides, and two lower shelves with three compartments on each.
The House of Representatives Chamber stationery holder is still located on the central table (1999-0429) of the Chamber where it was used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1927 and 1988. The stationery holder was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. Murdoch’s design for this stationery holder and the other Chamber furniture was inspired by the Westminster system of Parliament and the green and red colours of the two Chambers reflect the colour scheme of the lower and upper houses in the British House of Commons. The stationery holder was built by Beard Watson and Co Ltd using blackwood.
This stationery holder was used on the central table to store stationery items and relevant books and papers. The central table was a significant focal point in the House of Representatives Chamber as the site around which debates took place.