House of Representatives Chamber Armchair #1999-0470House of Representatives Chamber, North Wing, Main Floor
Maple armchair with a square back, arms and seat, upholstered in green leather; with plain aprons and crested square section tapering legs on castors (added later).
This House of Representatives Chamber armchair is still located in the House of Representatives Chamber where it was used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1927 and 1988. This chair was designed in 1927 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. Murdoch’s design for this chair and the other Chamber furniture was inspired by the Westminster system of Parliament and the green and red colours of the two Chambers reflect the colour scheme of the lower and upper houses in the British House of Commons. This chair was manufactured by Beard Watson and Co Ltd using Queensland maple and leather supplied by Howe Bros of Preston, Victoria.
This chair was one of three armchairs that were placed at the head of the central table (1999-0429) in the Chamber. The armchair in the centre, used by the Chairman of Committees (1999-0471), was very similar in design to this one but was slightly higher and had a drawer built underneath the seat. This chamber armchair is one of two of this design that were placed on either side of the Chairman of Committees and were used by the Clerk and the Deputy Clerk.
|Medium||Queensland maple; timber; leather; textile; metal|
|Creator’s name||Federal Capital Commission Architects Department|