House of Representatives Chamber Desk #1999-0488House of Representatives Chamber, North Wing, Main Floor
Blackwood chamber desk with a plain top with recessed ink bottle holder and pen tray; inclined writing surface inset with green leather; moulded edge over a recessed apron with two drawers with wooden drawer pulls and brass locks; two chamber bins below, suspended on wooden rails; panelled end supports with a platform base and inclined foot rest; speaker in centre under drawers and between chamber bins; push button and dial between drawers, with push button panel on exterior apron left hand side.
This Chamber Desk is still located in the House of Representatives Chamber where it was used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1927 and 1988. This desk was designed in 1926 by the Architects Department of the Federal Capital Commission, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. Murdoch’s design for this desk and the other Chamber furniture was inspired by the Westminster system of Parliament and the green and red colours of the two Chambers reflect the colour scheme of the lower and upper houses in the British House of Commons. Desks were provided for backbenchers in an effort to persuade them to work in the Chamber, thus avoiding the criticism that they were rarely to be seen in the Chamber. Limited office accommodation was provided otherwise, with the majority of parliamentarians working out of their party rooms. The design of the Chambers in Provisional Parliament House had a significant impact on the design of the furniture which was to be housed in it. Murdoch’s plans from 1923 show he had originally designed the seating arrangement to mirror the galley seating of the House of Commons in England, but this was rejected by the Standing Committee on Public Works who advocated the horseshoe or semicircular pattern used in a number of European parliaments. At the same time, they rejected the suggestion of the Speaker that a rostrum be provided from which speeches would be given, maintaining the tradition of speeches being delivered at the central table. This meant that the furniture had to fit around a semicircle, presenting a difficult design and manufacturing challenge.
While most of the ceremonial furniture in both Chambers was built by Beard Watson & Co Ltd, the desks and bench seats were supplied by the Myer Emporium Ltd in Melbourne. Made out of Australian blackwood and leather supplied by Howe and Co Ltd, Myer subcontracted Messrs Johnstone and Morrison of Burnley, Victoria to manufacture these items. Sample items of the desks and bench seats were made and delivered so that Members could inspect and comment on their design. Based on their recommendations, alterations were made to the final design of the desks, and included the location of the inkwells, ventilation for the circulation of heated and cooled air, and the installation of a receptacle for waste paper. Later added details include attendant call buttons, volume switches and speakers, earphone jacks, and holes for microphones. The original configuration of the House of Representatives was comprised almost entirely of two-seater desks such as this one.
|Medium||Blackwood; leather; timber|
|Creator’s name||John Smith Murdoch|
|Date created||Circa 1927|