Cue Stand #2001-1525Original Billiards Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Maple circular queue stand on a stepped platform base with rotating centre; with twelve indentations lined with green felt on the base and with brass brackets on a circular pedestal.
This cue stand was used in one of the billiards rooms and exemplifies the recreational furniture and facilities provided to parliamentarians and press representatives during the long periods they spent in the building. During the 1940s substantial improvements and additions were made to the facilities for parliamentarians and press representatives in the dining and recreational block at the rear of the original building. In 1947 the original billiards room was converted into a dining area, while in 1948-49 the Member’s bar was enlarged, and additions included a dining room for staff and press, a private dining room and servery, and a new billiards room. A second billiards room was added on the Senate side of the dining and recreation block adjacent to the Member’s bar.