Scoreboard #2006-1209Original Billiards Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Timber billiards scoreboard with two rolling score indicators with wooden handles and inscribed with numerals from 1 to 100; with two metal score indicators with sliding markers.
This billiards scoreboard was manufactured by Heiron & Smith, a manufacturer of high quality billiard tables and accessories established in New South Wales in 1883. The company has supplied billiard tables to Parliament House, the Parliament of New South Wales, and clubs throughout regional and country New South Wales. Heiron & Smith amalgamated with Alcock’s of Melbourne in 1988 to form the Alcock Group of Companies.
This billiards scoreboard was used in one of the billiard rooms and exemplifies the recreational furniture and facilities provided to parliamentarians and press representatives during the long periods they spent in the building. During the 1940s substantial improvements and additions were made to the facilities for parliamentarians and press representatives in the dining and recreational block at the rear of the original building. In 1947 the original billiards room was converted into a dining area, while in 1948-49 the Member’s bar was enlarged, and additions included a dining room for staff and press, a private dining room and servery, and a new billiards room. A second billiards room was added on the Senate side of the dining and recreation block adjacent to the Member’s bar.