Table #1999-0507Members’ Dining Room, Main Floor
Square maple table with a plain top and recessed apron, on square section tapering legs with incised line cresting and brass capped feet.
This table was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This piece was built by one of the six firms (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Melbourne; Anthony Hordern and Sons, Sydney; A Pengelly and Co, Adelaide; W H Rocke and Co, Melbourne; Beard Watson & Co Ltd, Sydney; Bebarfalds Ltd, Sydney) that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs. This table has been used in a variety of capacities throughout the building.