Circular Bar Table #2000-1230Members’ Dining Room, Main Floor
Maple circular occasional table with faux marble laminate insert, with a moulded edge over a deep apron, on square section legs with incised lines and applied rectangular block cresting.
This circular bar table was designed in 1926 by the Architects Department of the Federal Capital Commission, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for the Provisional Parliament House. This piece of furniture was designed for use in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms, where the custom made furniture was complemented by electroplated cutlery, ceramics and glassware monogrammed with the initials ‘CPRR’ within an oval garter. This table has been used in a variety of capacities throughout the building.