Skip to the content
Content starts here

Tray #2001-0045Members’ Dining Room, Main Floor

Oval shaped Electroplated Nickel Silver (EPNS) tray with two handles. Tray is engraved with grapes and vine leaves around the rim and has ‘CPRR’ (Commonwealth Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms) engraved in the centre.

History

This tray was used in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms in the Provisional Parliament House. It was manufactured by Angus and Coote and is made of Electroplated Nickel Silver.

Crisp white tablecloths and sparkling silverware welcomed members and senators to their party’s particular tables in the Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms. Unlike in most Australian homes, waiters, and later waitresses, provided silver service. They served the politicians’ food from elegant silver platters directly onto their plates at the table.

Many impressive state occasions were held in the Members’ Dining Room. On these occasions, formal decorations reflected the nature of the event, and silver service and souvenir menus were the order of the day.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This tray is significant because of its association with the Member’s Dining Room. The dining and recreation facilities were an important part of the life of the building from 1927 to 1988. They reflect the intention to provide some measure of comfort for the building’s occupants, in compensation for long sitting hours and the long periods people would spend away from their homes. The facilities also played an important national role in hosting Royal visits, official State receptions and formal dinners for important guests.

This tray is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those objects which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices.

Details

Width 660mm
Height 540mm
Depth 65mm
Medium Electroplated Nickel Silver (EPNS)
Creator’s name Angus & Coote
Date created Unknown