Skip to the content
Content starts here

Teapot #2001-0069Members’ Dining Room, Main Floor

Large Electroplated Nickel Silver (EPNS) teapot with two handles and ‘CPRR’ (Commonwealth Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms) engraved in the centre on one side.

History

This teapot was used in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms in the Provisional Parliament House. It was manufactured by Stokes & Sons and is made of Electroplated Nickel Silver.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This teapot is significant because of its association with the Member’s Dining Room. The dining and recreation facilities were an important part of the life of the building from 1927 to 1988. They reflect the intention to provide some measure of comfort for the building’s occupants, in compensation for long sitting hours and the long periods people would spend away from their homes. The facilities also played an important national role in hosting Royal visits, official State receptions and formal dinners for important guests.

This teapot is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those objects which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices.

Details

Width 345mm
Height 203mm
Depth 190mm
Medium Electroplated Nickel Silver (EPNS)
Creator’s name Stokes & Sons
Date created Unknown