Skip to the content
Content starts here

Side Serving Unit #2001-1603Members’ Dining Room, Main Floor

Blackwood serving unit with a small back rail and angled sides; two drawers with internal partitions over a cupboard section enclosed by double doors; with lockable drawers and cupboard section and conical metal drawer pulls.

History

This side serving unit was designed by the Department of Works and Housing for the Parliamentary Refreshment Rooms during the refurbishment of the 1940s. It was later used in a variety of capacities throughout the building.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This side serving unit is significant because of its association with the Member’s Dining Room. The dining and recreation facilities were an important part of the life of the building from 1927 to 1988. They reflect the intention to provide some measure of comfort for the building’s occupants, in compensation for long sitting hours and the long periods people would spend away from their homes. The facilities also played an important national role in hosting Royal visits, official State receptions and formal dinners for important guests.

This side serving unit is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those pieces of furniture which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices.

  • Side Serving UnitSide Serving Unit —

Details

Width 605mm
Height 956mm
Depth 470mm
Medium Blackwood; timber; metal; felt
Creator’s name Department of Works and Housing
Date created 1949