Skip to the content
Content starts here

Typist’s Table for Library #1999-1325Parliamentary Library, North Wing, Main Floor

Maple typist table; plain top and moulded edge above the recessed apron with fielded panels; pedestal on left hand side with four panelled drawers with shaped knob handles; panelled slab end on the right hand side with a spring-operated desk top extension attached.

History

This typist table was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This table was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). Plans reveal this table was built to be used in the Library.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This typist table is a significant item of furniture through its association with the Parliamentary Library. The design of the building and its layout, its curtilage and its interior rooms all demonstrate the customs and functions of the Commonwealth Parliament. This table was used in the Parliamentary Library which, as demonstrated by its position within the building (centrally located behind King’s Hall and between the Chambers), held an important function for Parliament.

This typist table is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those pieces of furniture which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The building is a primary example of the Inter War Stripped Classical style of architecture prominent in Canberra’s government architecture of the 1920s to 1940s. The characteristic expression of the building’s style is due to the design work of the Commonwealth’s first government architect, John Smith Murdoch. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices. This furniture is significant as it has remained within the building for which it was designed.

  • Typist’s Table for Library - Plan (page 1)Typist’s Table for Library - Plan (page 1) —
  • Typist’s Table for Library - Plan (page 2)Typist’s Table for Library - Plan (page 2) —
  • Typist’s Table for LibraryTypist’s Table for Library —

Details

Width 1365mm
Height 705mm
Depth 575mm
Medium Maple; timber; metal
Creator’s name Federal Capital Commission Architects Department
Date created 1926