Tall circular timber stand with domed arched metal top, on cross metal base, with textile Australian flag attached.
Show Statement of values
This flagpole has been used in a variety of capacities around the Provisional Parliament House.
Hide Statement of values
Statement of values
The introduction of Australian flags in various places around the building from the 1970s on, including in the Chamber of the House of Representatives, paralleled a growth in display of the Australian flag generally in official circles. This innovation in use of the flag was manifested also in the installation of a long row of flagpoles in front of the building.
This flagpole is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those pieces of furniture which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices.