Settee #1999-0823Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Maple settee with padded arms and sprung seat, upholstered in green vinyl; maple fronts with curved tops resting on tapered block feet.
This settee was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This settee was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple and was re-upholstered in green vinyl (possibly during the 1970s) for the House of Representatives.