Settee #1999-0824Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Chesterfield-style settee with padded arms and back and sprung seat upholstered in green leather; carved pilasters with shaped blocks resting on block feet.
This settee was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This sette was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple and upholstered in green leather for the House of Representatives.