Hall Stand #1999-1190Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Maple hallstand with a moulded cornice over a panelled back containing one bevelled edge mirror and 17 brass coat hooks, flanked by carved pilasters; the base is comprised of two umbrella sections on either side of a solid ledge, all with fielded panels, on a plinth base.
This hall stand was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This hall stand was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple.