Small Calendar Box #1999-1237Furniture · Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Maple calendar box with hinged lid with moulded edges and metal card holder; three windows on front for day, date and month; adjacent three compartment stationery holder on left side, with glass partitions and stepped end panel.
This small calender box was designed in 1926 by the Architects Department of the Federal Capital Commission, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This piece was built by one of the six firms (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Melbourne; Anthony Hordern and Sons, Sydney; A Pengelly and Co, Adelaide; W H Rocke and Co, Melbourne; Beard Watson & Co Ltd, Sydney; Bebarfalds Ltd, Sydney) that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs. It is made of Queensland maple.