Easy Chair #1999-1259Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Maple armchair with padded arms and sprung seat, upholstered in green leather; maple fronts with shaped blocks on top of plain pilasters, resting on an inverted breakfront plinth base.
This easy chair was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This chair was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple and upholstered in green vinyl for the House of Representatives.