Skip to the content
Content starts here

Small Chair #1999-1815Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor

Maple chair with a buttoned arch crested top rail; rectangular green leather padded back and stuff over seat; on square section front legs with incised lines, out-swept rear legs and ‘H’ stretcher.

History

This small chair was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This chair was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple and upholstered in green leather for the House of Representatives.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This small chair is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those pieces of furniture which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The building is a primary example of the Inter War Stripped Classical style of architecture prominent in Canberra’s government architecture of the 1920s to 1940s. The characteristic expression of the building’s style is due to the design work of the Commonwealth’s first government architect, John Smith Murdoch. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices. This furniture is significant as it has remained within the building for which it was designed.

Details

Width 465mm
Height 925mm
Depth 470mm
Medium Maple; timber; leather; metal
Creator’s name Federal Capital Commission Architects Department
Date created 1926