Small Chair #2001-1475Ministerial Party Room, North Wing, Main Floor
Small maple chair; stepped top rail with a rectangular green vinyl padded back, stuff-over seat; on square section front legs with fielded panels, out-swept rear legs and ‘H’ stretcher.
This small chair was designed in 1926 by the Federal Capital Commission Architects Department, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This chair was manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd). It is made of maple and upholstered in green vinyl for the House of Representatives.