Skip to the content
Content starts here

Loughboy #2001-1787Press Office, North Wing, Upper floor

Maple loughboy with a moulded cornice over two panelled cupboard doors, one enclosing hanging space, the other with two dust proof drawers above four drawers with a vacant section below; panelled sides; lockable cupboard doors with pendant catches.

History

This loughboy was designed in 1926 by the Architects Department of the Federal Capital Commission, led by principal architect John Smith Murdoch, specifically for Provisional Parliament House. This piece was built by one of the six firms (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Melbourne; Anthony Hordern and Sons, Sydney; A Pengelly and Co, Adelaide; W H Rocke and Co, Melbourne; Beard Watson & Co Ltd, Sydney; Bebarfalds Ltd, Sydney) that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs.

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This loughboy is significant as one of four of this design to have survived.

This loughboy is significant as a component of the Heritage collection, which comprises items which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the parliamentary process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The building is a primary example of the Inter War Stripped Classical style of architecture prominent in Canberra’s government architecture of the 1920s to 1940s. The characteristic expression of the building’s style is due to the design work of the Commonwealth’s first government architect, John Smith Murdoch. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices. This furniture is significant as it has remained within the building for which it was designed. The furniture collection is part of a rare, intact surviving record of heritage fabric comprising both furniture and documentation.

Details

Width 1220mm
Height 1677mm
Depth 480mm
Medium Maple; timber; brass
Creator’s name Federal Capital Commission Architects Department
Date created Circa 1927