Skip to the content
Content starts here

Filing Cabinet #2001-1960Press Office, North Wing, Upper floor

Coachwood filing cabinet with panelled sides and six lockable drawers with metal drawer pulls and card holders.

History

This filing cabinet was used in a variety of capacities around the building. It was most likely manufactured by one of the six firms that were contracted to construct Murdoch’s designs (Myer Emporium Pty Ltd, Anthony Hordern and Sons, A Pengelly and Co, W H Rocke and Co, Beard Watson & Co, and Bebarfalds Ltd).

Show Statement of values
Hide Statement of values

Statement of values

This cabinet is significant as a component of the Heritage Collection, which comprises those pieces of furniture which were used in the Provisional Parliament House between 1924 and 1988. The collection has associations with the process of government, the ceremonial, administrative, promotional and recreational functions conducted within the building, and with the individuals who governed Australia between 1927 and 1988. The building is a primary example of the Inter War Stripped Classical style of architecture prominent in Canberra’s government architecture of the 1920s to 1940s. The characteristic expression of the building’s style is due to the design work of the Commonwealth’s first government architect, John Smith Murdoch. The Old Parliament House building has a richness of internal fabric and collections, which include the purpose designed furniture and furnishings, that convey the way in which parliamentary functions were conducted, the everyday use of the building, and the hierarchical nature of parliamentary staffing practices. This furniture is significant as it has remained within the building for which it was designed.

Details

Width 920mm
Height 1050mm
Depth 655mm
Medium Coachwood; timber; brass
Creator’s name Unknown
Date created Circa 1930